Mexico hasn’t been the safest of places in the past couple of months. The country is suffering through a human rights crisis of epidemic proportions. Barbaric murders, abductions and tortures have become quite common and are occurring on the daily basis.
Pope Francis is on the quest to make a trip to Mexico. Although down below is a list of five things the Pope should stay wary of before even putting a foot on Mexican soil.
Mexico In Misery
1. More than 27,000 people have been declared disappeared in the last 8-10 years in Mexico. In 2014, 43 rural students went missing in the country and that paved the way for todays crisis. According to reports and claims, the exact number is unknown but everyone states that more than 27,000 people have gone missing. Half of that number occurred since President Peña Nieto started his reign in 2012.
2. Torture and other cruel-some activities are becoming more common than they ever were. Between 2013 – 2014, reports of torture or ill-treatment at the federal level almost doubled in amount. They rose from 1,165 to 2,403. Out of that, only a few were ever investigated.
3. Justice, Law and Order are just cultural concepts now and haven’t been active since years now. Its been decades since Mexico’s judicial system hasn’t investigated into the thousands of reports of human rights abuses.
4. Mexico is the most dangerous and threatening place on Earth for Journalists. Throughout the year in Mexico, many journalists are normally attacked, threatened and even killed. If you’re a journalist, we’d advise you to stay miles off the Western Hemisphere.
5. Thousands of people are getting killed in the name of “war against organised crime” but there’s not even a slight idea how much. For the consecutive year in a row, Mexican authorities have miserably failed to depict the exact number of people who have been killed. Numerous people have been wounded and ill-treated as well whilst the clash with the police and military goes on.
Facts About Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel is believed as the first place where the Mayan people civilised themselves. The Mayans settled here almost 2000 years ago and various ancient ruins can be located all around the city.
The Mayans further went on to name this island Cozumel or Cuzamil. It translates to the land of the swallow.
There are almost five species of birds that are entirely entitled to the Cozumel island. Many endemic mammals and fishes also strictly reside in Cozumel.
The main attractions that lure people towards Cozumel are the scuba diving and snorkelling activities. Cozumel also resides on a 600 ft coral reef system that is the second largest in the world. On top of all, various all-inclusive resorts also provide the snorkelling and scuba diving facilities.